Make your meals go further!
At Spekko we know how important it is to get the most out of your meals, that’s why with our rice 1 cup gives you 4 cups of love. But after a long day we know cooking can often feel like a chore and can take time away from being with your loved ones.
So, we have come up with some tips and ideas to help you save time and money by making your food last longer, so that every meal you make is as Spekkolicious as the next.
- Looking for a quick dinner fix? Instead of making, or buying, pizza bases, why not use flour tortillas? Simply add your toppings and put back in the oven for around 10 minutes at 180 degrees. It’s the quickest pizza you will ever make!
- A fresh salad is the perfect accompaniment to any meal but often if you make it in advance it turns soggy. To keep it crisp, cover the bowl with damp paper towel rather than cling film. Then store the bowl upside down in the fridge and the green leaves will stay fresh and crisp. Remember to only add the dressing just before you are ready to serve.
- Adding fresh lemon juice is a great way to flavour your dish. If you don’t need to use the whole lemon, just prick the outside with a fork and squeeze out the juice you need. Then seal the skin with some butter and the lemon will remain fresh for when you need to use it again.
- Keep your bread fresher for longer by adding a stalk of celery to the bag. Sounds strange but it works!
- Have leftover rice? We know exactly what to do with that. Use it in your next dish by making a paella, soup or fried rice to go with your Thai takeaway.
- Have leftover stew or cottage pie from the night before? Why not add a bit of curry powder to make it taste exciting for lunch! Leftover mashed potato? Use it to make potato pancakes by adding some chopped spring onions.
- Do you find you often sit with too many leftovers after a meal? You can prevent this by measuring your portions precisely before cooking. Work out how many people you are cooking for and measure per person, particularly when it comes to rice or pasta.
- Have a leftover drinks bottle from your child’s birthday party and can’t find the cap anywhere? Simply use a small balloon and place it over the top of the bottle. No air will escape ensuring the cool drink stays fizzy.
- Do you use brown sugar but find it often goes hard? To prevent this from happening, store it in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge and it will stay soft.
- Love baking but find that you end up with more mixture on you than in the bowl? Take a piece of wax paper, tear a hole in the middle and slip the beaters through. The paper should cover the bowl and block any mixture from escaping.