Make Valentine’s Day a Tasty Event with Spekko Rice!
Khaya Silingile developed these fabulous 2 course Valentine’s Celebration dinner recipes for Spekko Rice. Watch her cook them in Episode 2 of Spekko Rice’s Kasi Kitchen.
The broadcast is on Friday 8 February at 6.15 pm on Soweto TV, DSTV 251.
Enjoy Baked Lamb shanks with herbed rice, followed by a fabulous dessert especially developed for Spekko Rice. It is possibly the best rice dessert you will ever taste.
Baked lamb shanks with herbed rice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks (for better presentation you can French trim these)
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) paprika
- 150g dried figs, stalks removed, halved
- 1 X 410g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 250ml (1cup) Spekko Parboiled Long Grain Rice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh mint
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
- 30ml (2tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 7,5ml (1 1/2 tbsp)fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Heat half the oil in a deep saucepan which you can also put in the oven over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Heat remaining oil in the pot. Add onion, pepper and paprika and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until just soft.
- Place the lamb on top of the onion mixture. Top with the fig, tomato, stock and rosemary.
- Cover and seal pot with lid or foil. Bake covered for 2 hours. After two hours remove foil and cook for further 30 minutes uncovered. Baste meat with juices from the pot.
- Meanwhile, cook rice as per packaging instructions. Once cooked transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in mint, coriander, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among serving plates and top with lamb shanks.
Chocolate rice pudding with Amarula caramelised pears
- 60g butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 2 pears, unpeeled, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 125ml (1/4 cup) Amarula liqueur
Chocolate rice pudding
- 5 cups milk
- 1 x 6cm cinnamon stick
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 40g butter, chopped
- 100g Spekko Fragrant Rice
- 250ml (1 cup) white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- To make the chocolate rice pudding, bring the milk, cinnamon and nutmeg just to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the grains appear slightly glassy.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add about 1/2 cup of the simmering milk mixture to the rice and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the milk mixture, a ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next, for 35 minutes or until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and creamy.
- Add chocolate and sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until chocolate melts and the mixture is well combined.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, allow to dissolve into caramel like state. Add pears and half the Amarula. Cook, turning once, for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the remaining Amarula.
- Divide the risotto among serving bowls. Top with the apple slices and drizzle over the sauce to serve