Market Day at The Palms
The First Cook-Out and The Winning Recipe
This seafood paella was inspired by the abundant fresh mussel harvests on the West Coast. Nina Timm, RSG food presenter, won the first prize for this recipe in the first Spekko Rice celebrity cook-off at Isabella Niehaus’ Platteland stand at The Palms in Woodstock.
Serves 4 tot 6 people
1 kg mussels in shell
30 ml olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 red pepper, diced
1 X 410 g can tomatoes, chopped, peeled
5 ml saffron or turmeric
15 ml sweet paprika
2 bay leafs
parsley, finely chopped
250 g Spekko Saman Parboiled Rice
500 ml chicken or fish stock
- Clean and steam the mussels until opened and cooked. Discard any closed mussels. Keep aside.
- Heat 20 ml of the oil in a paella pan. Add the onion and saute until transparent. Add the garlic and caramelise. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining oil and saute the red pepper. Return the onion and garlic, together with the tomatoes, saffron, paprika, bay leaves and parsley. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add the rice and some of the stock, always adding stock from the outside outer circle if the pan towards the center. Watch the heat and fill up with more stock if needed. The rice must be al dente and the paella must not become mushy. It is perfect paella if it forms a crust at the bottom of the pan. It is the so-called “socarrat” and highly sought after when making proper paella!
- Add the mussels to the rice mixture and heat through. Season to taste.
- Serve with a slice of lemon.