500 ml (2 cups) Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
250 ml (1 cup) frozen mixed vegetables
1 Onion, chopped
10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) oreganum
5 ml (1 tsp) sweet basil
10 ml (2 tsp) chopped red chillies
2 X 410 g cans chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper
2 Brinjals, sliced
1 Punnet baby marrows, sliced
500 ml (2 cups) cooked IMBO brown lentils,
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cook rice according to the instructions on the pack, until half done, and drain. Mix rice and frozen vegetables.
3. Sauté onions in olive oil. Mix in garlic, herbs and chilli. Cook for 30 seconds and add tomatoes. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Drizzle brinjals and marrow with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Lay in a casserole in layers: brinjals, marrows, rice, tomato sauce and lentils. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until rice is cooked through and any extra liquid is absorbed.