1 medium butternut, peeled and cubed
60 ml olive oil
15 ml butter
2 onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 ml ground cumin
10 ml ground coriander
5 ml turmeric
2.5 ml cayenne pepper
1 cup Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
1l chicken stock
2 X 400 g cans chickpeas in brine, drained
50 g raisins
70 g flaked almonds, toasted
15 g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
- Toss the butternut in 30 ml olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread over a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until cooked.
- Heat 15 ml olive oil and the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Add the sliced onions, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and rice. Stir so it is all combined well, then add the chicken stock.
- Cover and allow to simmer gently for about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked, gently stir through the chickpeas and roasted butternut. Top with raisins, flaked almonds and chopped coriander. Serve with crispy poppadoms on the side