1 liter home-made chicken stock
1 bottle good quality sauvignon blanc
15 ml (1 tbsp) saffron threads
100 g unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups Arborio rice (Spekko recommends Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
250 ml (1 cup) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat the chicken stock. Add the Sauvignon Blanc and heat until it starts to simmer, then turn off the heat.
2. Add the saffron to 60 ml hot water and leave to infuse.
3. Melt the butter in a pot, and then simmer the chopped onion and garlic on a low heat.
4. Add the arborio rice (do not rinse first) and gently work the rice with a wooden spoon, but be sure not to overwork it. Add a ladle full of heated chicken stock/wine broth at a time, stirring continuously, then add more and stir again, until the rice has puffed up and softened.
5. Add the saffron, in its water, to the rice, stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Finally, stir in most of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, leaving some to scatter on the risotto once plated.