75 ml (5 tbsp) sunflower oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) crushed garlic
4 lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass
45 ml (3 tbsp) Tom Yum paste
375 ml Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
500 ml boiling water
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
30 ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
1 kg mixed seafood, – prawns, line fish, calamari or mussels
fresh coriander or basil to garnish
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick pot. Fry onion until translucent. Add crushed garlic, lime leaves and lemongrass. Stir until the garlic is light golden in colour. Stir in Tom Yum paste and fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
2. Add Spekko Rice and stir until the rice grains are coated with the spicy paste. Add salt and sugar. Pour in the boiling water and cook until the rice is tender, adding more boiling water if necessary. Stir the rice to ensure that it does not stick.
3. To prepare the grilled seafood: Heat a pan until very hot. Add the last 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil. Place seafood in the pan in a single layer. When the seafood changes colour, turn and cook on the other side. Prawns should be pink in colour, calamari and line fish should be white. Season with salt and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, sauté baby tomatoes and shitake mushrooms until the tomato skins blister and the mushroom turns golden brown in colour.
5. Serve the grilled seafood with the Tom Yum rice and garnish with fresh coriander, basil, grilled tomatoes and shitake mushrooms.