For the rice pancakes
1 cup Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1 ½ cups cake wheat flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ¾ cups full cream milk, plus more if needed
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg
1 tbsp salted butter, melted, plus more for frying and serving
To garnish & serve
fresh mint leaves
golden syrup or honey
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet, but do not add any salt.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, vanilla and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring very gently until just combined.
- Add more milk if the batter seems too thick. It should definitely be thick but easily pourable. Add the melted butter to the batter, stirring gently to combine.
- Gently stir in half of the cooked Spekko rice.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat and melt some butter in the pan.
- Sprinkle a handful of the remaining half of the rice in the centre of the pan and pour over ¼ cup of the batter. Cook until the pancake is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with the fruit. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve the cream on the side.