1 cup Spekko Royal Umbrella Rice
15 ml sugar
30 ml rice vinegar
2.5 ml salt
20 ml coconut oil
For the dill cream cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
15 ml chopped dill
Zest of 1 lemon
15 ml lemon juice
50 g smoked salmon
Extra dill for garnish
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Mix the sugar, rice vinegar and salt together. Heat in the microwave for a few seconds to dissolve. Pour this over the warm rice, gently tossing it to combine.
- Line a baking tray with cling film. It must be big enough that the rice sits 1 cm high when pressed in. Press the rice into the baking sheet.
- Take another baking tray and press it on top so it evens out. Leave the tray on top, with something heavy in it, and place the whole thing in the fridge. This will help the rice to set firm. Allow to sit in the fridge for a minimum of 5 hours, preferably overnight. It must be properly chilled.
- Once the rice has set, gently tip it out onto a chopping board. Slice it into even 5 x 2 cm rectangles or circles if you prefer.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Place the rice rectangles into the pan and gently turn, crisping them up on all sides. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dill cream cheese by combining the cream cheese, dill, lemon zest and juice together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble by putting a dollop of the dill cream cheese on each rice rectangle. Top with a piece of smoked salmon, and garnish with an extra sprig of dill. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.