15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
1 kg lamb shanks, cut into pieces
1 Onions, chopped
2 Carrots, sliced into rings
2 Stick of celery, sliced
2 Cloves of garlic, chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
1 ¾ cup beef stock
4 Tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 X 410 g can peeled and chopped tomatoes
30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
4 Thyme stems
4 Potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
4 cups cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot and fry the shanks in batches until browned. Keep aside.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic to the remaining oil in the pot and sauté until the onions are soft.
3. Add the browned meat to the vegetables, then add the red wine, beef stock, chopped tomatoes and the canned tomatoes with juices. Mix through the tomato paste and add the thyme. Season.
4. Bring to the boil and then cover, lower the heat and simmer for an hour.
5. Add the potatoes and simmer without cover for another hour or until the lamb falls off the bone.
6. Serve with the Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice.