45ml (3 tbsp) Olive oil
1 Medium butternut, cut into eight slices
1 punnet Baby rosa tomatoes
Salt flakes and pepper
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
30ml (2 tbsp) Tomato paste
30ml (2 tbsp) Paprika
30ml (2 tbsp) Cumin powder
30ml (2 tbsp) Cayenne pepper
30ml (2 tbsp) Chopped fresh rosemary leaves
4 cups Cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1 X 400g can Chickpeas, drained
½ cup Chopped fresh coriander
1. Preheat oven to 190 ºC.
2. Slice the butternut lengthwise.
3. Arrange butternut slices and baby tomatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a pot over medium-heat. Add the onions, garlic, tomato paste, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and rosemary and cook until soft.
5. Add the rice and chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes. Season to taste.
6. Spoon the rice in a serving dish and arrange the butternut and tomatoes over the rice. Garnish with fresh coriander.
7. Squeeze some lemon juice over the dish and serve.
Spekko tips for caterers
• This is an easy vegetarian dish or accompaniment to roast meat or chicken.
• Make this in bulk – it is easy, affordable looks good on a buffet spread.