4 baby chickens, rinsed and dried with a paper towel
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
25 g dried porcini mushrooms
250 ml (1 cup) cooked Spekko Saman White Rice
45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
125 ml (½ cup) chopped almonds
65 ml (¼ cup) sultanas
1 small onion, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Season the baby chickens liberally with salt and pepper inside and out. Thinly slice the lime and squeeze some of the juice over the skin of the chickens.
- To make stuffing: Re-hydrate porcini in boiling water for about 10 minutes (keep the liquid and use as vegetable stock).
- Lightly stir in olive oil into cooked Spekko rice, add remaining ingredients including porcini and fold lightly.
- Put some stuffing in the baby chicken cavities, and then tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Place the baby chickens with their breast sides up in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until golden and cooked. Garnish with roasted cherry tomatoes and fresh coriander.
- Use fresh porcini mushrooms if they are available, you will need 100 g.
- The dish can be multiplied, but prolong the cooking period by 15 minutes.
- Use any Spekko Rice variant in the recipe.
From the Spekko kitchen