250 ml (1 cup) Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
2,5 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
generous pinch of ground cardamom
pinch of ground black pepper
2,5 ml (½ tsp) salt
5 ml (1 tsp) grated orange rind
250 ml (1 cup) water
125 ml (½ cup) dried apricots, choppe
125 ml (½ cup) pistachios
125 ml (½ cup) chopped celery
80 ml (⅓ cup) fresh orange juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped mint
5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
1. Rinse and then soak Spekko Basmati Rice in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat 15 ml of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and sauté, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, salt and orange rind and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the water, cover and gently simmer for 5 – 10 minutes or until rice is tender and water absorbed.
4. In a serving bowl, mix together hot rice and apricots. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat and dry fry pistachios in a single layer until fragrant and toasted. Take care not to burn them.
6. Allow to cool and add with celery, orange juice and remaining oil to rice mix. Add mint and lemon juice and stir well.
7. Serve at room temperature or chill for at least 30 minutes and serve cold as a side dish or salad.
From the Spekko kitchen
1. Spekko Saman Brown Rice will also work well in this dish. Although it will take about 25 – 30 minutes to cook. Increase the water as per cooking instructions on the pack.
2. If pistachio nuts are not available, flaked almonds will also be delicious.