1¾ cups Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice,
3 tbsp salt, (divided)
110g unsalted butter (plus extra for greasing)
1 onion (finely chopped)
3 medium chicken breasts, cut into very small
1 cup Greek yoghurt, (divided)
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp boiling water
¼ tsp saffron threads (ground)
1 egg (beaten)
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ cup finely chopped herbs (mint or parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- In a medium bowl, cover the Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice with cold water and stir in 1 tbsp of the salt. Let soak for 1 hour, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat 2 tbsp of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until
softened, 4 – 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue to stir until cooked through, 5 – 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- To the chicken, add 2 tsp of the salt, ½ cup of the yoghurt, and turmeric. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine 2 tbsp of boiling water and the saffron. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk in 1 tsp of the salt,
2 tbsp of melted butter, the remaining ½ cup of the yoghurt and the egg.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with the remaining
1 tbsp salt. Add the soaked rice to the pot of boiling water and cook until just tender, 5 minutes, then drain.
- To the bowl with the saffron mixture, stir in 3 cups of the cooked rice.
- Grease a non-stick muffin tin with butter. Divide the saffron rice between the 12 wells of the muffin tin (2 heaped tbsp per well) and use a spoon to spread up the sides.
- Divide the chicken mixture between each well of rice. Top each with the remaining plain rice (you may have a little left over).
Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over the rice. Cover the
tray with foil and bake, rotating halfway through, until golden, approximately 2 hours.
- Let cool slightly, then run a mini offset spatula around the edge
of each. Place a tray over the pan, then invert to release the mini rice domes. Garnish with pomegranates, walnuts, pistachios and herb yoghurt.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve on side.