4 cups water
salt to taste
1 cup Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
100 g baby spinach leaves
2 cups ricotta cheese
30 ml milk
1 clove garlic, crushed
250 ml marinara pasta sauce
1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
8 rectangular ham slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a square baking dish.
- Heat 4 cups of water in a pot with salt to taste, add 1 cup of rice and boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and place the lid on the pot. Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, allow the cheese to melt and set aside.
- Mix the baby spinach leaves with the ricotta cheese, milk and garlic until combined, set aside.
- Spoon 100 ml of the marinara sauce into the baking dish.
- Gently press half of the cooked rice into the dish in an even layer (the rice will absorb the marinara sauce as it bakes).
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup mozzarella & ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese. Spread half of the spinach mixture over the cheese
- Top with half of the ham slices, overlapping as needed.
- Spoon 100 ml marinara sauce over the ham. Repeat the layers, ending with the marinara sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese and bake for a further 5 – 10 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Garnish with chopped basil, slice & ENJOY!