1 slice white bread
½ cup (125ml) milk
½ onion, finely chopped
250g beef mince
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp chutney
½ cup (125ml) water
¼ cup seedless raisins (optional)
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and black pepper, to taste
30g butter, melted
Crispy rice cup:
1 cup Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
2 ½ cups water
1 cup yoghurt
3 egg yolks
Specialised equipment: Muffin tin
- Cook Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice according to the pack instructions.
- Mix the yoghurt and egg yolks together. Add them to the rice and mix. Set aside.
- Soak bread in the milk.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft. Add the mince and fry until well browned.
- Stir in the curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the milk out of the bread and crumble the soggy bread into the mince.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, chutney, raisins and ½ cup water to the mince. Stir and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes or until the mince is cooked and the mixture is almost dry, but still moist.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, remaining milk from the soaked bread, salt, pepper and butter together until well combined.
- Spoon the rice into a greased muffin tray, spread it evenly but not too thinly, pressing up the sides.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C and remove from the oven.
- Add a generous spoonful of mince into each rice cup and smooth the top, keeping enough space at the rim of the cup for the custard topping.
- Pour the custard over the top of each bobotie cup and top with a bay leaf.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the custard has set.
Serve and ENJOY!