8 Onions, sliced
125 ml (1/2 cup) Butter
2 Sticks fresh thyme
500 ml (2 cups) White wine
1.5 liter beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups Spekko Saman Brown Rice
250 ml (1 cup) finely grated Gruyere cheese
250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 180º C.
2. Star making a soup by heating 3 tablespoons of the butter in a pot. Add the onions and thyme and slowly caramelise for 15 minutes.
3. Top up with wine and stock and simmer for another 15 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Pour the rice into a large ovenproof casserole dish. Pour over soup and dot with the remaining butter and more fresh thyme. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the cheese and breadcrumbs over the top of the rice. Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes more.