1 cup Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
2 tins of coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut sugar paste
1 cup coconut cream
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Toasted coconut flakes
- Cook the Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice according to instructions on the packet
- Place the coconut milk, cinnamon stick and star anise in a small pot on medium heat. Let bubble for one minute, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the coconut milk with the aromatics
- Using a spoon, remove the cinnamon & star anise.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Next, add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked rice and let simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes until the rice becomes nice and creamy.
- Place coconut sugar paste, coconut cream, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat slowly while stirring to dissolve the coconut sugar.
- Once mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken further as it cools.
- To test the consistency, I take the saucepan off the heat, spread a little sauce on a saucer (or similar) and place in the freezer for a few minutes. If the caramel doesn’t thicken (enough), I simmer the sauce for a little longer.
- Stir vanilla extract into finished caramel sauce. Fill into an airtight container.
- The coconut caramel sauce may harden as it cools. To make it pourable or dippable again, warm it a little in a water bath or in the microwave.