2 cups Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
2 X 400 g cans coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise pod
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup brown sugar
For the coconut caramel
1 cup coconut sugar paste
1 cup coconut cream
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 – 2 tsp vanilla extract
toasted coconut flakes
grilled pineapple slices
star anise pods
- First make the coconut rice: Cook the Spekko rice according to instructions on the packet.
- Place the coconut milk, cinnamon stick and star anise in a small pot on medium heat. Boil for 2 minute, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the coconut milk with the cinnamon and star anise.
- Using a spoon, remove the cinnamon and star anise pod.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Next, add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked rice and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes until the rice becomes creamy.
- To make the coconut caramel: Place coconut sugar paste, coconut cream, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat slowly while stirring to dissolve the coconut sugar.
- Once the mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken further as it cools.
- To test the consistency, take the saucepan off the heat, spread a little sauce on a saucer (or similar) and place in the freezer for a few minutes. If the caramel doesn’t thicken (enough), simmer the sauce for a little longer.
- Stir vanilla extract into the caramel sauce. Pour into an airtight container.
- The coconut caramel sauce may harden as it cools. To make it pourable or dippable again, warm it a little in a water bath or in the microwave.