For the green marinade
125ml (1/2 cup) Natural yoghurt
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
125ml (1/2 cup) Finely chopped coriander
15ml (1 tbsp) Grated ginger
4 Cloves garlic, grated
¼ tsp Ground cloves
¼ tsp Ground cardamom
5ml (1 tsp) Ground cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) Ground coriander
10ml (2 tsp) Chopped fresh mint
5ml (1 tsp) Ground cumin
5ml (1 tsp) Paprika
½ tsp Chilli powder
For the chicken
1kg Chicken breast fillets, skinned and deboned and cut into bite sized pieces
Oil or ghee for frying
For the lemon chilli rice
45ml (3 tbsp) Salted butter
1 – 2 Red chillies, seeds removed and diced
15ml (1 tbls) Lemon zest
2 Cloves garlic, grated
6 Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
4 cups Cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
30ml (2 tbsp) Chicken stock
1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together. Add the chicken and cover. Marinate overnight in a fridge.
2. To make the lemon chilli rice, heat the butter in a saucepan large enough to hold the rice, stir in the chillies, lemon zest, and garlic and curry leaves. Cook, stirring till fragrant.
3. Add the rice and chicken stock and heat through.
4. Heat a ribbed pan and coat with oil. Fry the chicken pieces until cooked or place in the oven to cook till done and tender. The chicken can also be simmered in the marinade until cooked and tender.
5. Serve on the lemon chilli rice.