For the rice mix:
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp turmeric
100 g almond flakes
For the meatballs:
500 g chicken mince
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Thumb-size piece ginger, grated
1 small handful of raisins, chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the dip:
Fresh coriander, finely chopped
250 ml (1 cup) plain yogurt
1. Heat up the vegetable oil in a pot. Test the oil with a piece of rice. If it sizzles it’s warm enough.
2. Deep fry 4 cups cooked Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice. Stir continuously with a fork until the rice becomes crispy. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
3. Crush the cumin and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar. Add to a warm pan with the chilli powder, cinnamon, turmeric and almond flakes. Stir until the nuts are golden and the spices release their scent. Add the crispy rice. Season with salt and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into a bowl or large pestle and mortar, and crush till fine. You can also place it between tea towels and bash it with a rolling pin. Set aside.
5. Add the chicken mince to a large mixing bowl. Add the diced onion, crushed garlic, grated ginger and raisins. Mix in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and nutmeg. Season generously with salt. Mix well.
6. Wet your hands. Then shape the mince into small balls.
7. Cook the meatballs in a medium pan until they are brown on the outside and cooked through.
8. Coat the meatballs in chutney and roll them through the crispy rice mixture.
9. Serve with a mint and yogurt dip.