1 cup yoghurt
4 tbsp chicken stock
30 ml olive oil
20 g butter
2 onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder
4 chicken breasts, cubed and seasoned
300 g Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice, rinsed well
85 g raisins
750 ml chicken stock (or as needed)
For the garnish
- 1. Mix the yoghurt, 4tablespoons chicken stock, 1 egg and salt together.
- 2. Heat half of the olive oil and half of the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cinnamon and bay leaves. Sauté until soft, stirring often.
- 3. Then add the turmeric, curry powder and chicken pieces. Sauté until just cooked through.
- 4. Add the rice and raisins. Mix through well. Add the stock and simmer until the rice is cooked and liquid is reduced. Once cooked, stir through the yoghurt mixture.
- 5. Grease a non-stick pan. Over a low heat, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Once hot, add the rice mixture and press down firmly. Cover the dish with a tea towel and then the lid. Steam for 30 minutes.
- 6. Remove from the heat and rest the bottom of the pan in cold water, this will loosen the rice.
- 7. Turn the pan upside down onto a board and tip the biryani rice cake out. Serve the biryani hot, garnished with coriander and flaked almonds.