For the lemon grass rice
2 cups Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice, soaked
2 Stalks lemon grass
For the chicken
45ml (3 tbsp) Peanut oil
3cm piece Fresh ginger, grated
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
3 Chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
1/4 cup Chopped fresh coriander
For the pickled cucumber
250m (1 cup) Rice wine vinegar
3cm piece Fresh ginger, very finely sliced
125ml (1/2 cup) Sugar
15ml (1 tbsp) Salt
1 Cucumber, julienned
2 Carrots, julienned
Rice paper wrappers
Soy and chili sauce to dip
- Crush the lemon grass with a wooden spoon. Put the rice, salt, lemon grass and water in a pot and cook further according to the instructions on the pack. Drain, but keep the lemon grass in the rice. Set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil and sauté the ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and the coriander and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender – about 7 minutes.
- To prepare the pickled cucumber: In a small pan pour in the rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt and fresh ginger. Once it comes to the boil turn off heat.
- Pour hot vinegar on top of julienned cucumber, let it cool and refrigerate until time for assembly.
- Soak the rice papers individually and lay them down side to side. Place the cooked rice in the middle of the rice paper, top with pickled cucumber and the julienned carrots.
- Place 5 chicken cubes on top of the carrots. Fold the part of the rice paper closest to you, over the filling. Fold the bottom up and the top down over the filling. Roll the parcel gently so that the remaining side covers the filling. Repeat.
- Serve with soya sauce or chilli sauce.